Bringing home a new baby is an incredible life-changing milestone, and it deserves to be photographed beautifully. I offer two approaches to newborn photography: posed and lifestyle sessions. Although they are distinctly different genres requiring different skills and tools, neither is better than the other! This guide should help you determine which is best for your family.
Posed Newborn Sessions
Posed sessions occur in-studio when baby is between 5-14 days of age. These sessions incorporate timeless, organic materials and props that display your baby as the work of art he is. Baby is the main focus of the images, although we will capture sibling, parent, and family poses too.
A posed studio session might be for you if:
– you prefer a controlled studio environment
– your home doesn’t have much natural lighting
– you crave an artistic approach to your newborn images
– the idea of having a photographer in your home just after giving birth makes your eye twitch
– you want the actual baby to be the main focus of the images
Lifestyle Newborn Sessions
Lifestyle sessions take place in your home when baby is 5-30 days of age. These sessions focus on the environment and relationships surrounding baby: the nursery, family interactions, and daily life with your new little love. The baby will not be posed and no props are provided, instead incorporating items found in the home.
An in-home lifestyle session might be for you if:
– you want to showcase the nursery, your bedroom, and personal details
– your home has abundant natural light
– you crave a candid, authentic approach to your newborn images
– the idea of getting out of the house just after giving birth makes your eye twitch
– you want the relationships to be the main focus of the images
I hope this helps you determine which style will work best for you! Oh, and don’t sweat it if you aren’t sure which you prefer right now. You don’t need to decide for sure until baby arrives! Or, book both sessions and get the best of both worlds!